Saturday, June 10, 2006
Not Your Average House Wife
So I am kind of having sort of a hard time lately. . .I am a unique person....there's no one else like me, and I should enjoy that. But I find a lot of people don't really accept me for who I am. Almost every woman I know have very specific qualities, mostly related to being a wife and mom. For instance they can cook well, they have well-decorated houses, they breast-feed their babies when they are young, some of them home school....the list goes on. And they are great people. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM. But what is really getting at me is people wanting me to be in THAT mold. I am a housewife, but I have a job, I can't stay home. My house is clean, but unkempt a lot of times, I can cook, but not great. I don't shop at stores like Old Navy and Gap, I am not suzy decorator with my house, and I like doing my hair and makeup. It just bugs me, I have gotten some comments that have been hurtful....comments about what kind of wife I am, comments about choices I plan on making with my children. I mean am I going to go to Hell for not breastfeeding or for not getting top designer clothes for my children. I had a friend (no one who reads this) argue with me that I needed to breastfeed.....I mean argue. And I understand the argument behind it, but why can't people except my decision not to? Why do people see me as loud and obnoxious, and not the perfect housewife? I have weird tastes, like flapper items and old movie glamour. I like to shop at Hot Topic. (No goth items!!) I like watching shows from when I was a kid, like Alf or Punky Brewster. I hate decorating, I would rather buy a house already done in a style I like. I hate cooking because I don't have time. I speak what I think, which gets me in trouble once in a while. I just don't fit in anywhere. I am not like anyone I know. I have had a hard time with this for quite a while. It has kind of been an ongoing thing. I get "reprimanded," by other women sometimes. Like I am a kid or something and they feel the need to admonish me into their way of thinking. Again this is no one who reads this so I don't want to give you the wrong idea, it's just something I am highly frustrated over. I don't mean to complain. I just wish I had someone in my life that would sit down and watch a silent movie with me, and tell me they support my decisions, and shop with me at Hot Topic and other "fine" stores. I wish I had someone in my life who knew big band songs, and who Barbara Stanwyck and Clara Bow are. Who likes the art deco style of the 20's but grew up loving Punky Brewster in the 80's. I don't know I am blabbering on with my frustrations. I guess that even though I am an adult, I still feel like a gawky teenager trying to fit in a place where there is not one person who can relate to how I feel or how I am. I have great friends, I love them very much, they are kind and wonderful and I couldn't live without them....I just wished I knew someone who knew me..........the real me.............and they loved every part......Jesus is the only one who does. I take comfort in knowing that He revels in my uniqueness, even if it turns off others..............
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
we love you kathy. just the way you are. i haven't witnessed anyone saying those things or expecting you to fit into some mold, but i know you have stated some situations that really hurt. you're a child of God and a wonderful woman... i would say that's pretty great. whether your clothes are from Gap or Hot Topic or salvation army... you're still awesome. Whether your house has Pier 1 or hummingbirds in your bathroom (ha ha) I still love coming over! Despite the fact that you and I are vastly differnt... i think it's great we're friends. I like your consistency... and i think you'll be a great mom.
Post a Comment