Thursday, February 01, 2007

Looonnnnggggg Post

This will be long so bear with me.......it is my birth story, if you find it offensive for me to write about you don't have to read, but I promise there won't be any too personal things!!!
So Friday Jan. 19 I went in for a routine check-up and they told me my water was low so they were going to have to induce labor. They also did an ultrasound and told me I was having a little girl. So they sent me to get some lunch (Arby's) and then by 4pm I was in the hospital and they gave me this anti-ulcer pill which was supposed to start labor. All my family came to the hospital, Tim's parents came, and we thought there would be a baby sometime that night. Well by 8pm there was nothing so they gave me another dose of the pill. By 9 or 10 I was starting to feel it and I was getting contractions and having to entertain. My midwife.....mind you not the one who saw me my entire pregnancy, but the one I never met from my doc's office......pretty much kicked everyone out and they all went home. Which I was mad, but happy at the same time because the pain was kicking in. By like 10:30pm I was having one contraction after another and wasn't dialated past 2cm. So they gave me morphine to go to sleep for 4 hours and then told me at 4am they would check me. They started potocin(sp??) while I slept to keep the contractions going. Well I woke up before 4 in pain, and asked the nurse if the midwife was going to check me at 4 and she told me that they never said that they were going to check me at 4....which is a lie.....and that they said they would up the dosage of potocin at that time......which the incompentant nurse, did not do like she was supposed to...she was a you know what......but anyways, all this time they only had checked me once to see if I was dialated any further......once!!!! It had been like 12 hours, how were they to know if I was doing what I was supposed to do from the medications???? Anyways I was having contractions still and they ranged in pain. My midwife did not come in until 11:30am!!! And then she still did not want to check me!!! Keep in mind this whole time I had no idea what they were doing to me, they did not keep me well informed.....and if I asked questions they acted annoyed. By this point they had catheterized me too, which I to this day do not know why.......anyways I had contractions all day, and they started to be one after another after another, no break in between. It went this way for hours and I was not dialating at all. By this point I was in so much pain that all I could do was sob deep gutteral sobs....they would not give me any pain medication. So two days of contractions with no results. By 4pm I was finally dialated to 4cm and they gave me a spinal block, finally, after much begging!!!!! That wore off by 8 and they checked me to see if I was dialated any more and I wasn't. So they wanted to hold off the epidural. At this point I began vomiting. I was very weak and my family and my husband were getting ticked because the hospital staff was treating me like garbage and not giving information. The nurse walks in all casually and tells me that they are probably going to do a c-section but not to tell them that she told me because she wasn't supposed to. And then she starts an antibiotic because she says I have a urinary tract infection.....which I didn' t have when I stepped into the hospital....thanks to mr. cathetar............at this point my husband had had it. They were doing all this stuff and not telling us what they were doing, they weren't checking me to see if I was dialating. I was throwing up non-stop, couldn't even keep a sip of water down, and then they tell us all this work was for nothing and they were going to give me a c-section. Tim went off.....and told the nurse in some not so nice words that they better either get me dialating or do the c-section, and stop putting me through any more, because I was having contraction after contraction for like 2 days straight, and my body was just shutting down at this point. I couldn't move or anything. Thankfully I had the epidural by then. Anyways Tim told them off, the nurse and the midwife(who happened to be the one who saw me my entire pregnancy cuz the other one had gone home at this point,) and then he got in the shower cuz he needed some tension relief, poor guy. At this point I threw up again and there was blood in it. They told me my esophagus probably was irritated.....like there was no big deal that there was blood in it, they just shrugged it off. My mom and my sister Ruth were the only ones there and they were both trying to comfort me. After all that stuff I really did not want a c-section. I wanted so bad to have her naturally. I had my mom call the church intercessors for prayer. Within forty minutes of that phone call, I fully dialated!!!! Thank God!!!!! My mom knocked on the bathroom door and told Tim to get his toosh out here now!!! Finally it was time to push. I pushed for 2 hours which seemed like she never wanted to come out!!! LOL!!! It was too warm in there!!! At 1:25am she was finally born!!!! Praise God!!!! And the first thing I said when they put her on my chest was that she looked like Kiersten her cousin. She did too, she looked just like her. Finally they cleaned us both up and took us to our room by like 4am. After many visitors, later Sunday night I was swelled up like a balloon. A nurse came in and told me I was toximic and that they were putting me on a magnesium drip to prevent swelling to my brain, which would cause seizures. That's all she told me...no comfort or anything......so they put me on it and I could not function. Tim had to do all the feedings and changings, I couldn't even hold her. Some of the nurses acted like I was a nuisance for asking questions, and I thought I was going to die because I was getting a severe headache and they weren't taking me seriously. I had all these visions of Tim raising Veronica by herself. I had him read Psalm 91 to me and that helped ease my fears a little. After 12 hours of being on the drip they took me off it, which relieved me but I was still having headaches and still not able to take care of her. I started crying because I had only held her once and couldn't now because of the drugs. It was Monday by this time. All day I felt weak and slept in and out. Whenever I asked a question I got annoyed nurses answers. They treated me like I was a nuisance. Finally by Tuesday they were going to release me. The midwife had told me that I was anemic and prescribed me some pre-natal vitamins. The nurse who was to discharge me came in and I asked her if I could get a vitamin, and she said I wasn't prescribed one. And then she looks me dead in the face and says, "You know what I think? I think you're just afraid to go home. All I have seen is Daddy take care of her, I think you're afraid to." Talk about a slap in the face!!!! Here I was weak from all the drugs and garbage they put me through and this nurse had the nerve to say something like that. She left and of course I was in tears on what should have been the happiest day of my life, bringing my little girl home. Tim calmed me down and we finally did make it home. For a few days I was really weak still and couldn't figure out why. I realized it was the anemia and thankfully Heather had some real iron pills. So now I am feeling really good and able to take care of my precious little girl. She is absolutely beautiful and the best thing that ever happened to me. Her name Veronica, means Victory. To me she is a victory over the enemy. Over infertility, over the horrible hospital experience......she is a victory!!! And Daddy, who is the most wonderful husband ever, is spoiling her like crazy already. He never wants to put her down!!!! She is just wonderful. I will post more about her later, but for now I think this post is quite long enough!!!!! Thank God I have her home and all the garbage is behind me!!!! Oh, and I am already wearing my normal clothes!!!! Yippeee!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story! Any story that ends with a healthy baby is a good one. :)

Anonymous said...

So when do we get an update about daily life with your precious girl?