Monday, December 12, 2005

Quitting

I am seriously thinking of quitting my blog. It seems no one reads it really, so I am kind of pointlessly typing here. Oh well I guess it is theraputic. Only like 2 people are reading!!! My trip was nice. Mostly just relaxing and shopping. We didn't have enough money to ski but we went ice skating at the Olympic center right in Placid. I have to say watching my husband actually not be good at something is hysterical. I am usually the one who struggles and he is naturally good at things...hee, hee, hee....until now. I am not that great on skates, but he was hysterical. Every two feet he'd stop and get off the ice on the sidelines. "I need a break," he'd say. Funny and very enjoyable. The rest of the time we just went thru all the stores and that took forever. We got some stuff from Gap which I usually don't shop at, on the principal that the clothes aren't my style usually and I think it's so overpriced. But it was an outlet and even Gap carries my favorites.....sweatshirts!!! So I got one and a nice velour dress jacket. I also got to go to a lot of antique stores which is my absolute dream shopping. I saw so many things I wanted!!! Of course I can't afford to pay the price!!! I found a saphire and diamond ring, probably from around the 20's or 30's....it was my size and absolutely gorgess, white gold with an oval saphire and diamonds embedded in the band. They only wanted $400, which for the size of the stone and the antiquity of it was a super deal. But alas it was not meant to be!! Oh well, some day. I did manage to get a green glass or other type material, art deco jewelry box which I believe to be about from the 20's or 30's. The lady running the cash register wasn't sure. And they were only selling it for $5!!! Maybe they didn't know what they had for sure. I also got a 1930, very excellent condition, original Nancy Drew book. It is definitely not a first edition because they had those and they sold for up to $200!!!!!! I paid $15 which is a great deal for an original Nancy Drew. How I wish I could have gotten all those first editions though!!! There had to be at least 30!!! The best thing about antiques is knowing you are touching something that meant something to someone so long ago. I was looking thru an old pile of advertisements and magazines, letters from the 1800's....and I was in awe. But the best things were the old valentines and Christmas cards. Some from the 1800's, some later. The ones that I liked the most were the ones that children had obviously given in class to eachother, ex. To Margaret from Helen C., written in childlike scrawl. And then there was the one simply signed, "Dad." To think some father so many years ago gave his little girl that valentine, and it survived somehow all those years to be put in an antique shop. I remember my dad doing special things for us girls for valentine's day. Every year he did something. He made us feel so special. That little girl so long ago must have felt the same way!!!!
Well I suppose that's enough rambling, I doubt this will get read much anyways!!! But nice to write it down for myself!!!!
P.S. Roxy is better!!! I hope she stays that way!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read your blog too! Don't always have time to comment, but I'm reading and praying for you. Hope you don't quit!

Heather Dowling said...

Now now... we all read your blog. And you know it. Glad Roxy is better. Your trip sounds like it was fun, glad you had a good time. I love GAP!

Rose of the Hill said...

Hmmm, it's funny how many people wrote to you.....? So maybe this will calm your unsure if people read my blog nerves. :-)

I'm glad you had a good time!!!