Thursday, April 20, 2006

Columbine

Today is the seventh year anniversary of the Columbine High School tragedy. I remember being in college at that time. I came home from classes early, I was exhausted. I figured I would see what was on and from the time I turned on my tv my heart leaped in my chest. I watched the whole thing. I must of watched tv for like 15 hours straight, I didn't go to sleep until like 3 am because I just couldn't stop watching. The only thing I watched longer was 9-11.
I remember feeling compelled by the Holy Spirit to pray hard because I knew there were believers in the building, I could just sense it. Not that I wasn't praying for all the kids to get out safely, but I just knew that something was going on in a spiritual sense. As the days and weeks unfolded and we learned about the tragedy, a girl named Rachel Scott become the most recognizable of the victims, known for her extreme faith and courage. I watched her funeral and saw how her life was already impacting many. In the short time of her life, she lived an open life. She would admit when she made mistakes, but always knew her Saviour would pick her up when she fell. Her written words showed wisdom beyond her years. Her death has brought a powerful movement, one that I am sure she would be astounded with. Because of her legacy, many have and will accept Christ. To see a girl of only 17, impact so many, is mindblowing. Here I am almost 27 years old, and I still feel that my faith is nothing compared to her's. But her legacy has touched me in such a why I will continue to strive, continue to press on, because if Rachel could do it, so can I. May our legacies all be so powerful.......
In memorium of Cassie Bernall, Steven Curnow, Corey DePooter, Kelly Fleming, Matthew Kechter, Daniel Mauser, Daniel Rohrbough, Dave Sanders, Rachel Scott, Isaiah Shoels, John Tomlin, Lauren Townsend, and Kyle Velasquez..........

1 comment:

Heather Dowling said...

Seven years. How can it possibly be already. Praise God for the glory that was seen in the aftermath of such a tragedy. Yesterday was rainy and about 70 degrees at the time those photos were taking. Today on the other hand was 85 and humid. It was fun:)