Thursday, January 12, 2006

Things I never knew

So last night I went to my mother's house after work because she said she had some stuff to give me of my Grandma Thompson's. My Dad's mom. Aparently my Grandma is not interested in keeping any of her life memories any more. At any rate, last night I discovered a lot of things. One being that mainly I am a spitting image of my Grandma. Hard to believe when you see a wrinkled face that you could actually look like her, but when I saw her bowling pictures....she bowled with the same women for like 20-something years....the pix from when she was young....ohmigosh.....like looking into a mirror. It shocked me....I never ever thought I looked like her. I know I look like my Dad, but never imagined that I looked like Grandma. That wasn't the only thing I discovered though. I started to realize I didn't even know her. I was looking thru pictures of her life and thru them I got to see her wild side, which my Mom told me she kept going well into the 80's. She was quite the partier with her little bowling league friends. Picture after picture, year after year, hotel rooms they stayed in, championships they won, pictures of them in their 60's nighties, behaving like wild women. It was very weird to see. And then you think, wow, my grandmother actually had a life, which I always knew it just somehow clicked last night. One thing I didn't know until recently was that my Grandmother was married once before my Grandpa. On her honeymoon she met a woman and struck up a conversation with her. They began talking about both of them being on their honeymoons, their husbands and what they did for a living, etc. Turns out it was the same man.....he screwed my grandmother over...bum.....anyways I guess I have to appreciate him somewhat because I wouldn't be here if my grandmother never met my grandpa. Grandma never ever speaks of this marriage, can't say I blame her. Anyways last night I found a picture of my Grandma from 1941, 5 years before she married Grandpa, and she was out in the snow with this guy, all dressed in 40's coats and hats, it was so cute....it was labeled Marie and Stan.....I wonder if "Stan," was "the man." Literally. I kind of felt a connection to my Grandma looking at her old stuff. I am named after her after all....her full name was Katherine Marie Lennox. Which by the way, our family castle....Lennox castle....is in Scotland....found that out last night too.
I guess I just discovered the real person my Grandma is. She's definitely not perfect, just ask any of my family members....she's quite an ornery old lady....I guess that's why I was shocked....she seemed happy, almost joyful, in the old pictures. She also managed to save an envelope and pictures from when the space shuttle the Challenger crashed. Three photos!!! She was there for a tragic historical event!!! Another thing I didn't know...I get my sense of preserving memories from her....all her stuff is labeled with little notes describing what they were....just like I do. Weird. I am happy I got to see this stuff. Now I have to go spend time with her before it's too late and tell her how much I really do love her. Please pray for her salvation, like I said she is an ornery old lady, and she doesn't have much time left... I know this for sure. I only hope I can make a difference by sharing Jesus with her and bringing joy back into her life.

3 comments:

Heather Dowling said...

Sounds like she had quite an interesting life. Something out of hollywood or something. Did you get my message last night?

Heather Dowling said...

We left you a message on your answering machine last night about the meeting we were supposed to have.

Rose of the Hill said...

No I didn't dye my hair. I think it was just the picture. :-)